In CA, can a pre judgment writ of attachment be appealed? What is the time deadline and filing procedure?

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Writ of attachment was obtained against my corp last week. Can I appeal it now instead of waiting till later? What is the procedure and is there any specific doc that needs to be filed?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Herb Fox

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A Writ of Attachment is an appealable order (Code of Civil Procedure 904.1(a)(5)). That means that you have the immediate right to an appeal. Indeed, waiting until "later" will waive your right to challenge the order.
    The procedure starts with the filing of a Notice of Appeal, which must be done as soon as possible. But that is only the beginning of a long and complex series of procedures that are governed by the Code of Civil Procedure, the Rules of Court (chapter 8), and case law.
    Almost as important as filing a Notice of Appeal is determining whether that Notice will stay the effect of the attachment order pending the outcome of the appeal. If there is no stay, the attachment order will remain in place while the appeal proceeds - and the appeal will take at least a year, and probably longer, before a decision is rendered. That fact alone may undermine the very reason for the appeal.
    Finally, and ultimately most important, is whether you have grounds that can actually result in reversal. An appeal is not a proper legal procedure unless you have a potentially meritorious argument that takes into account the standards of appellate review.
    Perfecting the appeal, establishing a stay of enforcement, and determining the merit of an appeal are all matters that require the assistance of counsel, and preferably experienced appellate counsel (even if you have a trial attorney).
    For more information about civil appeals in California, please see

    Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or... more
  2. Kevin Samuel Sullivan


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . you need to sit down and have your situation reviewed by a local appellate lawyer immediately.

  3. Richard Scott Lysle

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can always post a bond to cover the amount of the claim. Otherwise, if you want to appeal, you need to have a lawyer.

    Did a lawyer represent your corporation in the trial court? A corporation cannot appear "in pro per" and you cannot represent a corporation in court unless you are licensed to practice law.

    An appeal is based upon the record which was made in the trial court. Did you order a Reporter's Transcript of the hearing? Did you request a court reporter? Did you formally appear at the hearing? If the corporation did not make an appearance at the hearing, with a lawyer, you probably have little chance of succeeding on an appeal. You need to meet with a lawyer right away. Like, before lunch today.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,329 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,329 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering