In Arizona, Is There A Fiduciary Relationship Between A Dentist And A Patient?

Chandler, AZ |

Does a fiduciary duty exist between a dentist and a patient? Or does that only apply to actual medical doctors?

1. The fiduciary duty owed by a doctor to a patient is confidentiality, and it would apply the same from dentist to patient. However, there is no private right to sue under HIPAA for this.

2. Dentists have the same duties and responsibilities to their patients as any other type of doctor.

3. I am afraid that I do not know what you are asking... What is it that you would have wanted your Dentist to do that he did not do? Is this a billing or insurance issue? If you are more specific in your question, the answers that you receive will be more useful.

4. There is not a fiduciary relationship. Rather the doctor wones you a duty to exercise reasonable care under the circumstances and to maintain your right of privacy.

5. Dentists can commit dental malpractice just as doctors can commit medical malpractice, assuming that is what you mean.

I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Members of my firm are licensed in various states, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We handle cases involving personal injury (car accidents slip and falls, etc.,) medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, workers' compensation and social security disability. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.