In Arizona, how long does a Defendant have to file an Answer to a Complaint if their initial Motion to Dismiss is denied?

Asked over 2 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

Plaintiff filed a civil Complaint in Superior Court. Defendant did not file an answer, only a rule 12(b)(6) Motion to Dismiss for failure to state a claim. Court denied the Motion to Dismiss. When would the Defendant have to file an Answer by, and is there an Arizona rule of which specifies when? If so, is it Rule (12)(A)(3)(A)? The court's minute entry of which denied the motion to dismiss did not specify a time for the answer to be filed by. It's been six months and no Answer has yet been filed. Application/Affidavit for default was filed BEFORE they filed the motion to dismiss, since they originally didn't respond to the complaint in any regard within 20 days.

I'm the Plaintiff. Also, to now seek default judgement, would I have to file a new application/affidavit for default judgement since the previous one I filed was filed before Defendant filed a motion to dismiss? Or does my original one still count?

1. C. Andrew Campbell

Answered . Absent some other time set by the court, the rules of civil procedure would apply to the time-frame to respond after the denial of a 12(b) motion to dismiss. The application/affidavit for default filed before the Motion to Dismiss is no longer workable - the filing of the Motion to Dismiss is a responsive pleading that is required by the rules and precludes the entry of default. If there has been no answer or subsequent motion allowed by the rules a new application for entry of default would be appropriate. You may want to check with the court to make sure nothing has been filed and simply not mailed to you correctly before filing the motion.