In all honestly how likely is an appeal for a misdemeanor for a petit larceny conviction sucessful?

Asked over 1 year ago - Virginia Beach, VA

This was my first time offence and I have to make the decision wether or not to appeal my case. Is it TRULY worth paying more money for council or should I just pay my fine and go on with my life the best I can? I just don't want to end up loosing more money on false hope when I could just be resting in the fact that its a 100 fine with no jail time to start with.

1. Victoria Lee Allen

4

Answered . You should immediately note your appeal and meet with an attorney that can go over the specific facts with you. We can't provide you a reliable answer in this forum since we don't know the specifics. In addition, you should not go into specific details here.

You must note the appeal within 10 days and must perfect it within 30. So if you note the appeal, you will have time to meet with an attorney to better explore your options.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

2

1

Answered . A conviction can impact you for life.

Your call as to whether you want to be second guessing coulda, woulda, shoulda for the rest of your life. You'll earn the money back eventually, but convictions can be forever.

3. Christopher Paul Bellmore

3

Answered . Consequences of criminal cases go beyond fines and jail time. Theft convictions have lasting employment consequences. That being said, it is hard to answer your question without more information. Were you found guilty by trial? Or did you enter a plea of guilty? Appealing a court order requires showing that the court made a mistake and that you were prejudiced by it. What do you feel went wrong in your case? I will say, however, if you have legitimate concerns about your conviction, it is probably worth the money to pay an attorney to review a potential appeal in your case. From there, you can make an educated decision as to whether or not going forward with an appeal is worth the cost.

4. Arash Zarei

1

Answered . I believe you mean appeal it to the Circuit Court. If you have been convicted in General District Court, then you should definitely retain counsel and appeal. You only have 10days from the day you were found guilty to note your appeal. Good luck.

5. James Edward Short

Pro

1

Answered . I think you should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney about the facts of your case. A conviction will stay on your record. If you have a legal defense, you owe it to yourself to raise it.