In addition to child support, would I also have to pay for Day Care expenses at the time my soon to be ex go to work and college

Asked 3 months ago - Seattle, WA

I am paying $1200.00 in child support for two kids. The child support is based on my salary and minimum wage for my soon to be ex since she is currently not working and never worked before. We have three years of marriage and we both are fairly young. My wife just enrolled in school and saying that she will soon get a job as well. My question is that in addition to the child support I am paying, would I also have to pay for Day Care expenses when she goes to school and work?

1. Andrew Y. Kim

3

Answered . The day care costs would be shared on a proportionate basis as determined on your child support worksheets. Your soon to be ex's income would still be imputed at minimum wage even though she is going to school.

2. Bruce Clement

Pro

1

Answered . The day care cost is normally split based on incomes. See my AVVO Legal Guides on child support for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although my AVVO Answers and Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. To find my Legal Guides, click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 32 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”. © Bruce Clement