In a writ of garnishment, is there any way to have the garnishment dissolved before the court date? I am awaiting court date.

Asked over 1 year ago - Ocala, FL

I had a judgement entered against me for a credit debt back in 1996. About 1 month ago, I received a writ of garnishment to which I immediately filed an exemption for "Head of Household". The garnishee filed an "Extension to file" and then must have requested a court date thereafter, because today I received a Court Hearing date. However, the writ of garnishment is still in place and the court date is 38 days from today. I have already had my wages garnished 25% from 2 paychecks, and will have 2 more paychecks garnished before the court date. Is there anything else I can do, or do I just have to wait it out until my court date? I cannot afford a lawyer, so I would appreciate any advice you can give me. When I go to court, what do I need to take with me to prove my "H. Of H" exemp.?

1. Patricia A Dzikowski

Answered . You can contact the court to request an expedited hearing. Explain your situation and ask that they move the hearing up.

2. Myron Wayne Tucker

Pro

Answered . If the debt is paid in full, the garnishment will stop. Apparently you can not pay it off so that option is out. The garnishment can be stayed if you file a bankruptcy petition. If you qualify for a bankruptcy discharge, the garnishment will stop permanently. If you offer, and the creditor accepts, a settlement, a payment plan, or some arrangement to satisfy the debt, the garnishment will stop. Otherwise, until the court rules on your claim of exemption, the garnishments will probably continue.