In a UD (Calif) and with proof of financial stress, can I receive a "fee waiver" and if so, how can I petition?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chula Vista, CA

In California, I need to file a UD. 12/4/11 tenant was personally served and rent not paid. I have Civil Cover Sheet, Complaint, and Summons w/attachments ready for tomorrow. I also completed Claim for Statutory Damages to submit with UD. I filled out Order For Posting of Summons in case of “cat and mouse” play. (I would prefer to have an attorney represent, but husband is unemployed and the mortgage and HOA are more than rent. I’m between rock . . .) Am I missing anything? Can you foresee an obstacle? Is there a checklist? Online search take me to too many sites with legal verbiage, leaving head spinning. With proof of financial stress, i.e., unemployment, mortage amount, HOA, can I receive a "fee waiver"? If so, name of form, please. Thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Richard C Koman

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . use the request for fee waiver/order forms to get the fee waiver. the form has specific income levels per household size (unless you receive govt benefits.)

    no idea what Claim for Statutory Damages but hopefully you're not referring to $600 damages for malicious withholding. dont' do that.

    you dont get the order for service by posting until you submit a motion for the order (there's no form for that - it's done on "pleading paper.")

    make sure you have proof of service of the notice.

    Responses to Avvo questions are based on a general discussion of the law and in no way constitute legal advice. No... more
  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Make sure you are using the (5-day) Summons for Unlawful Detainer.

    Yes, you can apply for a fee waiver. See my guide at:

    The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice.... more
  3. Yousef Monadjemi


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Although I understand that finances are tight, unlawful detainer lawsuits can be tricky and one mistake can destroy your case. You should definitely put some time into finding an attorney that is qualified and affordable.

    First off, you cannot file a motion for an order to post summons until attempts have been made to personally serve the tenants.

    As for the filing, you need the summons, complaint, civil cover sheet and a prejudgment claim of right to possession if you wish to serve all other occupants. There may be other local forms that you may need.

    Good luck.

    The opinion provided is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,261 answers this week

3,116 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,261 answers this week

3,116 attorneys answering