In a speedy trial, if the case gets dismissed and not refiled, when does the inmate get released?

Fresno, CA |

Does the inmate get released later the same day or does it take a couple of days to a week? I have heard that speedy trials are different so they would be released differently, is that true?

1. If the case is actually dismissed and not refiled, the defendant will be released forthwith (usually the same day). This assumes the defendant has nothing else holding him in custody (parole or probation hold, ICE hold, new/old charges). Good luck.

2. Immediate release usually mean several hours. In Sacramento, it usually takes 10 to 12 hours for an inmate to be released from the county jail or as I say "if it's dismissed by 10:00 a.m., you'll be out by midnight". Of course every county is different.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.