In a month-to-month tenancy, can I artificially create a 6-month lease by lumping 6-months of rent into one check?

San Marcos, CA |

I have been in my leased condo for a term of 1-yr. Now that year 1 is expiring, the landlord is requiring a co-signer to renew a lease for 1-year. I'm now being forced into a month-to-month tenancy which is very dangerous for us being students and parents. It's impossible to get a co-signer as we have no family. Is there any way I can artificially/unilaterally create a lease? Paying a lump sum instead of the regular rent? There must be a creative solution to this whole mess!

1. The month to month lease you have, can not be unilaterally extended by you.
    If the landlord accepts six months in advance, he appears to waive his right to have a one month lease, and you should be able to stay for the length of the prepayment.

Having the ability to prepay six months sounds like an attractive incentive for a landlord, and should be presented to the landlord, along with your promise to pay in advance when that 6 month term is completed, as incentive for entering into a 1 year lease at the present time.

General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.