In a Legal Malpractice case is the defendant liable for paying any legal fees in behalf of the plaintiff?

Pahrump, NV |

Legal fees that the plaintiff occurred because of defendant neglected (past statue of limitations, had not spoke to and attorney during the whole time of representation, etc.) them where they had to seek legal action in hiring a Legal Malpractice Attorney to pursue the case.

Your question is confusing. I agree with Mr. Brinkmeier that each side has to pay its own legal fees, but sometimes if the lawyer on the other side did something that caused the opposite party additional legal fees to address, like frivolous litigation or claims barred by a statute of limitations, it's possible for the other side to recoup attorneys fees from the other side caused by such shenanigans. Is this what you're trying to suggest. I'm not able to totally decode your question.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Each party pays its own legal fees

The answer is no. Each side pays for their own lawyers fees. If you were to lose the claim and a jury found there was no malpractice you will not have to pay the other sides legal fees either.

Your question does not makes sense. However, Nevada has a fee-shifting statute that could award the prevailing party attorney fees. You need to talk to your lawyer.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes