In a domestic violence charge in FL, if the disposition is adjudication withheld, is that considered a conviction?

Brandon, FL |

I was charged with domestic violence against my ex husband in 1998 in Florida. The disposition was adjudication withheld. My question is whether or not I need to answer yes to any conviction on an employment application? I want to ensure I am answering truthfully. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

A withhold of adjudication means that you were not convicted of the domestic battery. Best of luck with your job search.
    Summer Goldman

Legal disclaimer: The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices.

2. A withhold of adjudication is not a conviction. If your employer asks whether or not you have been arrested or pled to any offense without regard to whether it was a conviction, your answer would change. Many employers are changing the language of their questions in applications to address withholds of adjudications.

Legal disclaimer: I'm only licensed in FL. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.