In a domestic partnership relationship with a mortgage how do I get out

Asked almost 5 years ago - Burlington, CT

I am trying to find the best way on how to get out this relationship with my house. Do I have to hire a marriage lawyer? Or do we just sell the house.. Thanks for any help

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michael D Fox

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . If you are in a domestic partnership under CT law, you will need to go to court to have the partnership terminated. This termination process (akin to a regular divorce) will deal with the division of the assets (called a property division or settlement in a divorce case).

    You can certainly sell the house and divide the proceeds however you BOTH choose. That being said, things often go wrong and spending some time with a lawyer will certainly help you understand both your rights and obligations.

    As to whether you need a lawyer: the answer is no. That being said, you should (because there is real property involved) retain an attorney to help you protect your interests and help insure you get a fair settlement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,960 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,960 answers this week

2,768 attorneys answering