In a divorce decree can the petitioner tell the respondent were they have to live?

Asked over 2 years ago - Des Moines, IA

I am a victim of domestic violence concern as to how the decree my ex has had his attourney draw up.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Peggy Margaret Raddatz


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you mean do you have to tell the spouse who is violent to you where you live there are laws in most states to protect that information. Go seek a consultation with an attorney with experticse in domestic violence cases. Do not agree nor sign anything until you talk to an attorney. good luck. Also you may need an restraining order so please if you are in any danger right now seek refuge with a friend until you can go to court tomorrow and seek a restraining order as an emergency. All local court houses have this information readily available either in person or online.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT SO because Avvo awards the... more
  2. Ronald S. Pichlik

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You don't have the right to tell him where he can live. If an order of protection forbids him from being within a certain radius of you he can't violate that. You also have the right, depending on the circumstances of the domestic violence history, to request of the court that you not be required to disclose your address.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Decree

A divorce decree is the order a judge will issue that finalizes a divorce after proceedings have ended.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,242 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,242 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering