In a divorce case does a recommendation from the judge have any weight if one party is unwilling to compromise?

Oak Park, IL |
Filed under: Divorce

What recourse can one have to avoid going to trial if one of the parties in a divorce case is unwilling to compromise or even unwilling to accept a recommendation from the judge?

If either or both parties are unwilling to compromise, there really is no option but to go to trial and let the judge decide the outcome. If the judge has already make recommendations, then it is likely the outcome will be similar unless evidence is presented which changes the judge's mind. You and your lawyer need to prepare for trial

this is not my response, but someone else has same opinion - stay away..... “stay away” Posted by: a Divorce client, 11 days ago. Client Review: She does not keep you informed will keep pushing cases longer than need be to get more money out of you. She doesn't return phone calls, has a... more http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/60448-il-judy-goldstein-1137006.html?ref=qad_answer_name

I wish she spend more time on her client, instead commenting with no contents on avvo.com "go straight hire lawyer". Isn't this violation of attorney client privilege what you responded against your client? http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/60448-il-judy-goldstein-1137006.html?ref=qad_answer_name stay away Posted by a Divorce client, 11 days ago. Flag Overall rating PoorTrustworthy PoorResponsive PoorKnowledgeable PoorKept me informed Poor I do not recommend Judy Goldstein. I used Judy 6-12 months ago. Judy handled my Divorce / Separation matter. I have previously worked with no lawyers. She does not keep you informed will keep pushing cases longer than need be to get more money out of you. She doesn't return phone calls, has a secretary who apparently does relay messages. Not trustworthy at all. Beware is all I have to say. She is in a hurry to bill you and bleed you dry yet she doesn't keep you informed unless you call the office and then you'll be lucky if you get a call back if you are leaving a message with that incompetent secretary...for the money she charges keeping clients posted should be a priority. Judy Goldstein Lawyer’s Comment: Stephanie was kept apprised of every aspect of her case. Letters went out. Telephone calls were placed. Voice messages were left. 9.5 months after her file was closed, Stephanie called at 6: 11 pm. the evening before and twice again on the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. She spoke to my assistant the first time and left a voice mail later the same day, demanding an immediate return call or she would file a police report. I was out of town and did not receive the messages until the following Tuesday but believed I would see her the following day. There was nothing that could have been done in the meantime. We substantially reduced Stephanie’s initial retainer as a courtesy. After her divorce was finalized, she had a relatively small balance but probably would not have had a balance had we requested our usual retainer. We billed her on a regular basis, as is our policy for all clients. Nearly 3 months after Stephanie’s file was closed, we placed our first call requesting payment of the balance due. 5 more calls went out over the next 5 months. We received no return calls. I guess that is what Stephanie refers to as “in a hurry to bill.” Stephanie’s divorce took about 6 months to complete which was quite reasonable considering she had children and a house which was sold. The duration of a case has no bearing on the amount of billable time spent. During the time we represented her, Stephanie called the office 7 times and each of her calls was handled but did not require a return call. Two of those calls were to schedule an appointment. Another was simply to report a change of address. Letters went out advising Stephanie of the progress of her case. I’m sorry that Stephanie is so unhappy with our representation. There is really nothing more we could have done for her.

http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/60448-il-judy-goldstein-1137006.html?ref=qad_answer_name I wish she spend more time on her client, instead commenting with no contents on avvo.com "go straight hire lawyer". Isn't this violation of attorney client privilege what you responded against your client? stay away Posted by a Divorce client, 11 days ago. Flag Overall rating PoorTrustworthy PoorResponsive PoorKnowledgeable PoorKept me informed Poor I do not recommend Judy Goldstein. I used Judy 6-12 months ago. Judy handled my Divorce / Separation matter. I have previously worked with no lawyers. She does not keep you informed will keep pushing cases longer than need be to get more money out of you. She doesn't return phone calls, has a secretary who apparently does relay messages. Not trustworthy at all. Beware is all I have to say. She is in a hurry to bill you and bleed you dry yet she doesn't keep you informed unless you call the office and then you'll be lucky if you get a call back if you are leaving a message with that incompetent secretary...for the money she charges keeping clients posted should be a priority. Judy Goldstein Lawyer’s Comment: Stephanie was kept apprised of every aspect of her case. Letters went out. Telephone calls were placed. Voice messages were left. 9.5 months after her file was closed, Stephanie called at 6: 11 pm. the evening before and twice again on the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. She spoke to my assistant the first time and left a voice mail later the same day, demanding an immediate return call or she would file a police report. I was out of town and did not receive the messages until the following Tuesday but believed I would see her the following day. There was nothing that could have been done in the meantime. We substantially reduced Stephanie’s initial retainer as a courtesy. After her divorce was finalized, she had a relatively small balance but probably would not have had a balance had we requested our usual retainer. We billed her on a regular basis, as is our policy for all clients. Nearly 3 months after Stephanie’s file was closed, we placed our first call requesting payment of the balance due. 5 more calls went out over the next 5 months. We received no return calls. I guess that is what Stephanie refers to as “in a hurry to bill.” Stephanie’s divorce took about 6 months to complete which was quite reasonable considering she had children and a house which was sold. The duration of a case has no bearing on the amount of billable time spent. During the time we represented her, Stephanie called the office 7 times and each of her calls was handled but did not require a return call. Two of those calls were to schedule an appointment. Another was simply to report a change of address. Letters went out advising Stephanie of the progress of her case. I’m sorry that Stephanie is so unhappy with our representation. There is really nothing more we could have done for her.

consistent rating 1 - never return call. once she get money, she change 180 degree http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/60448-il-judy-goldstein-1137006.html?ref=qad_answer_name I wish she spend more time on her client, instead commenting with no contents on avvo.com "go straight hire lawyer". Isn't this violation of attorney client privilege what you responded against your client? stay away Posted by a Divorce client, 11 days ago. Flag Overall rating PoorTrustworthy PoorResponsive PoorKnowledgeable PoorKept me informed Poor I do not recommend Judy Goldstein. I used Judy 6-12 months ago. Judy handled my Divorce / Separation matter. I have previously worked with no lawyers. She does not keep you informed will keep pushing cases longer than need be to get more money out of you. She doesn't return phone calls, has a secretary who apparently does relay messages. Not trustworthy at all. Beware is all I have to say. She is in a hurry to bill you and bleed you dry yet she doesn't keep you informed unless you call the office and then you'll be lucky if you get a call back if you are leaving a message with that incompetent secretary...for the money she charges keeping clients posted should be a priority. Judy Goldstein Lawyer’s Comment: Stephanie was kept apprised of every aspect of her case. Letters went out. Telephone calls were placed. Voice messages were left. 9.5 months after her file was closed, Stephanie called at 6: 11 pm. the evening before and twice again on the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. She spoke to my assistant the first time and left a voice mail later the same day, demanding an immediate return call or she would file a police report. I was out of town and did not receive the messages until the following Tuesday but believed I would see her the following day. There was nothing that could have been done in the meantime. We substantially reduced Stephanie’s initial retainer as a courtesy. After her divorce was finalized, she had a relatively small balance but probably would not have had a balance had we requested our usual retainer. We billed her on a regular basis, as is our policy for all clients. Nearly 3 months after Stephanie’s file was closed, we placed our first call requesting payment of the balance due. 5 more calls went out over the next 5 months. We received no return calls. I guess that is what Stephanie refers to as “in a hurry to bill.” Stephanie’s divorce took about 6 months to complete which was quite reasonable considering she had children and a house which was sold. The duration of a case has no bearing on the amount of billable time spent. During the time we represented her, Stephanie called the office 7 times and each of her calls was handled but did not require a return call. Two of those calls were to schedule an appointment. Another was simply to report a change of address. Letters went out advising Stephanie of the progress of her case. I’m sorry that Stephanie is so unhappy with our representation. There is really nothing more we could have done for her. Do not hire Judy Goldstein Posted by Frank, a Divorce client, over 1 year ago. Flag Overall rating PoorTrustworthy PoorResponsive PoorKnowledgeable AverageKept me informed Poor I do not recommend Judy Goldstein. I used Judy 1-3 years ago. Judy handled my Divorce / Separation matter. I have previously worked with 1-2 lawyers. Judy interviews well and comes across as folksy. Once you pay her retainer, however, you're in for a ride. She does not return phone calls yet charges you for leaving voice-mail. She does not explain her bills. She did not advance my cause. She charges for sending a monthly statement then charges to ask questions about the statement but does not address the issues. If you fire her she will attack with a vengeance and generate bills that even a judge cannot understand. I have personally witnessed Judy lie to a judge in open court in order to extract more money from me. Do not hire Judy Goldstein. Painful subject Posted by ANON, over 2 years ago. Flag Overall ra

http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/60448-il-judy-goldstein-1137006.html?ref=qad_answer_name I wish she spend more time on her client, instead commenting with no contents on avvo.com "go straight hire lawyer". Isn't this violation of attorney client privilege what you responded against your client? stay away Posted by a Divorce client, 11 days ago. Flag Overall rating PoorTrustworthy PoorResponsive PoorKnowledgeable PoorKept me informed Poor I do not recommend Judy Goldstein. I used Judy 6-12 months ago. Judy handled my Divorce / Separation matter. I have previously worked with no lawyers. She does not keep you informed will keep pushing cases longer than need be to get more money out of you. She doesn't return phone calls, has a secretary who apparently does relay messages. Not trustworthy at all. Beware is all I have to say. She is in a hurry to bill you and bleed you dry yet she doesn't keep you informed unless you call the office and then you'll be lucky if you get a call back if you are leaving a message with that incompetent secretary...for the money she charges keeping clients posted should be a priority. Judy Goldstein Lawyer’s Comment: Stephanie was kept apprised of every aspect of her case. Letters went out. Telephone calls were placed. Voice messages were left. 9.5 months after her file was closed, Stephanie called at 6: 11 pm. the evening before and twice again on the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. She spoke to my assistant the first time and left a voice mail later the same day, demanding an immediate return call or she would file a police report. I was out of town and did not receive the messages until the following Tuesday but believed I would see her the following day. There was nothing that could have been done in the meantime. We substantially reduced Stephanie’s initial retainer as a courtesy. After her divorce was finalized, she had a relatively small balance but probably would not have had a balance had we requested our usual retainer. We billed her on a regular basis, as is our policy for all clients. Nearly 3 months after Stephanie’s file was closed, we placed our first call requesting payment of the balance due. 5 more calls went out over the next 5 months. We received no return calls. I guess that is what Stephanie refers to as “in a hurry to bill.” Stephanie’s divorce took about 6 months to complete which was quite reasonable considering she had children and a house which was sold. The duration of a case has no bearing on the amount of billable time spent. During the time we represented her, Stephanie called the office 7 times and each of her calls was handled but did not require a return call. Two of those calls were to schedule an appointment. Another was simply to report a change of address. Letters went out advising Stephanie of the progress of her case. I’m sorry that Stephanie is so unhappy with our representation. There is really nothing more we could have done for her. Do not hire Judy Goldstein Posted by Frank, a Divorce client, over 1 year ago. Flag Overall rating PoorTrustworthy PoorResponsive PoorKnowledgeable AverageKept me informed Poor I do not recommend Judy Goldstein. I used Judy 1-3 years ago. Judy handled my Divorce / Separation matter. I have previously worked with 1-2 lawyers. Judy interviews well and comes across as folksy. Once you pay her retainer, however, you're in for a ride. She does not return phone calls yet charges you for leaving voice-mail. She does not explain her bills. She did not advance my cause. She charges for sending a monthly statement then charges to ask questions about the statement but does not address the issues. If you fire her she will attack with a vengeance and generate bills that even a judge cannot understand. I have personally witnessed Judy lie to a judge in open court in order to extract more money from me. Do not hire Judy Goldstein. Painful subject Posted by ANON, over 2 years ago. Flag Overall rating PoorTrustworthy PoorResponsive PoorKnowledgeable PoorKept me informed Poor I

Daniel Seth Williams

Daniel Seth Williams

I concur with Ms. Goldstein, it goes without saying that an attorney and client should prepare for trial. Excellent advice counsel.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

It is unclear why this question is being resurrected after 6 months, except that CA counsel apparently wishes to accrue points by concurring with everyone who previously and timely responded to the question.

I agree with Attorney Goldstein. Each judge is different, but many are inclined to rule in the same manner as the recommendation if what's said at trial is the same as what's said at pretrial. If the other side wants to be difficult, they have that right. Such is life.

Robert Ricci

Robert Ricci

Such IS Life. :)

Daniel Seth Williams

Daniel Seth Williams

I concur.

If the judge has given some idea of his view of the case, it is highly likely that in a trial, that is how the issue will be resolved.

Legal disclaimer: In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.

Daniel Seth Williams

Daniel Seth Williams

Well said.

Your address posted is in Cook County, IL. That means if your case is filed and pending downtown the judge who pretried the case will most likely not be the trial judge. You now are in a situation where each of gets two bites at the apple.
If the case is pending in one of the district courts(Oak Park is part of the 4th municipal district) that judge will be the trial judge and the answers previous to my answer would be correct on that point.

Daniel Seth Williams

Daniel Seth Williams

Excellent counsel.

Why would you want any other option? Get a spine and get to Court so the other party sees the downside of ignoring Judge recommendations.

So far, this is free to you. Until you pay a fee, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client, so you take any free advice at your sole risk. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Daniel Seth Williams

Daniel Seth Williams

Excellent Counsel.