In a divorce case does a recommendation from the judge have any weight if one party is unwilling to compromise?

Asked about 2 years ago - Oak Park, IL

What recourse can one have to avoid going to trial if one of the parties in a divorce case is unwilling to compromise or even unwilling to accept a recommendation from the judge?

1. Judy A. Goldstein

15

Best Answer

Answered . If either or both parties are unwilling to compromise, there really is no option but to go to trial and let the judge decide the outcome. If the judge has already make recommendations, then it is likely the outcome will be similar unless evidence is presented which changes the judge's mind. You and your lawyer need to prepare for trial

2. David Matthew Gotzh

Pro

10

Answered . I agree with Attorney Goldstein. Each judge is different, but many are inclined to rule in the same manner as the recommendation if what's said at trial is the same as what's said at pretrial. If the other side wants to be difficult, they have that right. Such is life.

3. Michael A. Meschino

8

Answered . Your address posted is in Cook County, IL. That means if your case is filed and pending downtown the judge who pretried the case will most likely not be the trial judge. You now are in a situation where each of gets two bites at the apple.
    If the case is pending in one of the district courts(Oak Park is part of the 4th municipal district) that judge will be the trial judge and the answers previous to my answer would be correct on that point.

4. Robert Ricci

8

Answered . If the judge has given some idea of his view of the case, it is highly likely that in a trial, that is how the issue will be resolved.

5. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

6

Answered . Why would you want any other option? Get a spine and get to Court so the other party sees the downside of ignoring Judge recommendations.