In a divorce can a party use animals to protect the land from divorcing spouse

Indianapolis, IN |
Filed under: Divorce court

I know a woman owning a chicken hatchery that is getting ready to go through a divorce he told he he is going to find a way to pay off the remaining 3,400 dollars owed then force her to sell the land and give him half. is there any way she can use the birds in court to keep her business as well as the land her business is on with it being her home as well?

I would think that she can "buy him out." That would allow her to keep everything, except the money she pays him. Agreeing on a value is going to be the tricky part, and perhaps coming up with the funds to pay him off.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.

It is seemingly marital and divisible by the court. She can refinance and pay him his marital portion what ever the court decides that portion is.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Recommended articles about Divorce