In a criminal case, is a person taken into custody immediately following a Jury verdict of guilty at the Jury trial.

Asked 8 months ago - Taylorville, IL

I know a person who is out on bond at this time and was wondering if found guilty at his Jury trial date, would he be taken into custody or still remain out on bond. Thank's

1. Elizabeth Marie Vonau

5

1

Answered . That is a case by case type of question. If he were to be found guilty on a non-probationable offense then his pretrial bond would be revoked and he would be taken into custody. If he has the possibility of getting something other than prison time his pretrial bond could be converted to a post trial bond.

2. Joshua Sachs

4

1

Answered . Often, but by no means always. The nature of the offense is a big factor. In my experience bond is more likely to be revoked immediately after conviction in state court than in federal court. A federal defendant is often allowed to remain on release until sentencing, and then is frequently allowed to self-surrender at the designated prison.

3. Melissa I. Smejkal

2

Answered . It depends on the judge.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . I have seen both options.