In a CONDO who is responsible for paying mold removal that was caused from water leak in the bathroom from the upstair owner?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Boston, MA

Ground flow bathroom roof collapsed, no one was hurt, mold was found by DPH. Mold rem edition in process. Is the owner who had the leak in the bathroom but was unaware be responsible to pay the bill, the leak was from within the wall, due to the make of shower and also there was a soft spot between the vanity and bathtub. The owner is repairing the bathroom but is he responsible for MOLD and other repair fee OR should the CONDO PAY??
The Condo unit owners whose roof collapsed now want to claim medical saying that he had asthma attack and was hospitalized for this?unit owner is however living in that place. Condo association also found a corroded pipe during this process that was repaired which was common and there is further a toilet pipe drain leak?? WHO IS responsible to pay?? proceed?

1. Kati M. Amarantes

1

1

Answered . This is a very complicated question and does not have a simple answer. It depends on whether the interior of the walls (including the pipes) was considered common area or not. I would advise that you contact an experienced condominium attorney, bring your condo docs, including original plans, and they will be able to advise you. Good luck to you.

2. Thomas J Callahan

1

1

Answered . As Atty. Amarantes advised, the key is what the condo docs say. Most common is that pipes within the walls are common area, and thus the responsibility of the association. If the owner having a medical issue allegedly caused by this actually makes a claim, it should be referred to the condo's insurer to challenhe and/or handle.