In a civil case what are the differences between a hearing or a trial?

Jackson, WY |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

What are the differences between a hearing and a trial with the judge in a civil matter?
Are there different types of hearings? What type would be used to have the parties and witnesses testify about the events? Or would that be a trial?

What you describe would be called by most civil litigators as a trial.

That said, I have heard some attorneys and many lay persons refer to 'trials' as 'hearings'. That is not so commonly interchanged in criminal courts where hearings often related to sentencing.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.