In a civil case, can I obtain a transcript of a deposition taken by another defendant on the plaintiff.

Asked about 5 years ago - Delaware, OH

I was not present at the deposition as I had not been properly served. Since being served, I have answered the complaint and plan on serving my own discovery (interrogatories and requests for admissions) but due to my limited finances I can't afford to depose the plaintiff. Would I be able to obtain a copy of the deposition transcript, or is that off limits in this context?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John Michael Drain Jr.


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If you are a party in the lawsuit where the plaintiff's deposition was taken, you definitely have the right to a copy of the deposition. To do that, you have to contact the court reporter who took the deposition and make arrangements to pay her for it.

  2. Ronald Lee Burdge

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes you have a right to get a copy of the deposition from the court reporter who transcribed it once you pay for it. Contact the court reporter to find out the cost. In order to save time and money you not only can, you certainly should. It will show you how questions are asked as well as give you the answers that were already made by the party under oath. If you are not sure who the reporter was, contact the attorney who took the deposition of the other party and they will know. If there are any documents that would help prove or disprove a claim in the case, then you may want to also serve a request for production of documents too, when you start your "paper" discovery. Note: if this answer helped, check the AVVO box below.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,557 answers this week

2,775 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,557 answers this week

2,775 attorneys answering