In a case of no insurance is the registered owner liable even if the driver was their son who is 21?

I was in an accident were my friend was driving we didn't hit anything nor were we hit but he was drinking alittle and lost control ... We flipped and I was taken to the hospital with a broken arm... He said that his insurance doesn't cover the accident becuase he only had collision. Am I allowed to sue his dad who is the registared owner or do I have to sue the driver?

Los Angeles, CA -

Find Out More

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

Personal Injury Lawyer - Sherman Oaks, CA

"Am I allowed to sue his dad who is the registered owner or do I have to sue the driver?"

You should not be suing anyone without an attorney. Since you have been injured, you should consult a personal injury attorney. The owner of the vehicle is liable, at least up to $15K, along with the negligent driver. The owner could be liable for more under the theory of negligent entrustment.

You have two years to file a personal injury action in CA. Your attorney will, in nearly all cases, attempt to settle the case prior to a lawsuit being filed. Good luck.

Robert Max Klein

Robert Max Klein

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

You have the right to sue a drive and an owner. However the owner's damages may be limited by the CA. Veh. Code to $15,000. Since you suffered a broken arm, and are being told that there is no insurance, you should retain a personal injury lawyer to help you sort out your rights and remedies. There are a lot of us personal injury lawyers in the Los Angeles area. I encourage you to call one of us and set up a consultation. You will find most of us do not charge for the initial consultation.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Both likely, however, a personal injury lawyer should be retained to make sure you tap all available insurance, and get the maximum possible compensation.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Asmik Jasmine Gevorkyan

Asmik Jasmine Gevorkyan

Initially you don't have to file a lawsuit. You should file a claim worth the insurance carrier and get a personal injury lawyer ASAP. Since you had a broken arm your damages may exceed the limits applicable under the policy. A personal injury lawyer will help you to get maxim recovery.

You may contact our office for a free consultation.

Jasmine Gevorkyan
818-497-8565 direct
Www.gevorkyanlaw.com

Michael Shemtoub

Michael Shemtoub

You should contact a local attorney as soon as possible as this is a personal injury case and the owner of the vehicle can be held responsible. You do have a strong case as described above. Most of us offer free constulations that can be of benefit to you to gather additional details.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com

www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Paul J Molinaro

Paul J Molinaro

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Corona, CA

The driver of an automobile can be held liable for harms he or she causes to others. The owner of a vehicle that is involved in a collision may also have liability for harms caused by someone else driving that vehicle. Holding driver and owner liable and actually getting payment from either or both is a task that should be done by an attorney. Fortunately, many of us attorney types handle these cases on a contingent basis which means a victim only pays us from money "won."

-Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
Corona, CA 92879
(951)520-9684
www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Berkeley, CA

You should get a PI lawyer to advise you because you were a passenger in the car. Your attorney should be able to advise you about your rights. Best of luck