Skip to main content

IN a car accident caused by another driver happens and you don't have car insurance but they do. What happens ?

Lakewood, WA |

The Lady crossed an intersection in front of my car. I had no time to even put on the brakes. There were witnesses to verify what happened.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Hopefully you were not hurt. The insurance company of the other driver will investigate the collision. Talk to them but do not allow them to record you. Tell them what happened and give them the contact information of the witnesses. Again, do not let them record you. I have seen insurance adjusters twist my client's words in those recordings. I have also seen cases in which someone was a little sore, maybe a little stiff in the day or two following the collision and did not realize they were hurt and told the insurance company (who recorded it) that they were not hurt. It made it come to a fair settlement much more difficult.

    Take your own photographs of your car and of the place where the collision occurred, from both your perspective and that of the other driver under similar conditions as when the collision occurred. Document as much as possible. Get your own estimates for the repair or replacement of your car. You are not obligated to go to their shop. Often insurance companies have captured shops in which cheap parts and questionable methods are used to repair cars cheaply but they do not return your car to as close as possible to pre-collision condition.

    If you were hurt, please consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible to help you through this. If you have health insurance, they will need to worked with as well. Remember, the other insurance company want to compensate you as little as possible, be in for the car or for any other claims such as injuries or income loss.

  2. If you are hurt, see a doctor asap. Check with local atty. In some states, failure to have your own liability ins as reqd by law, can result in your be restricted from recovering all your damages. Here in Calif, you would lose your right to seek money for pain and suffering. I dont know how it works in Wa., and that is why it is a good idea to check with a local atty. You can try Glen Kadish in Everett.

  3. I agree with Mr. Kopelson. I recommend that you consult with a local car accident attorney before proceeding with your case. As Mr. Kopelson stated, you may not be able to seek compensation for any damages incurred. I hope you found my answer helpful.

  4. I agree with the advice provided by my collegues. However, in Washington you will NOT be barred from bringing a claim against the at-fault party. The fact that you were uninsured has no bearing whatsoever on your claim in Washington. If you were injured, you need to seek counsel from a local personal injury attorney. Good luck!

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. DISCLAIMER: This information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Scott W. Edwards Attorney at Law Schauermann Thayer Jacobs & Staples 1700 E. Fourth Plain Blvd. Vancouver, WA 98661 PHONE: (360) 695-4244 FAX: (360) 696-0583 E-MAIL:

  5. I agree with my colleagues. I would also look at the intersection. Lakewood may have some liability. Where did the accident occur?

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics