In a accident and received a failure to maintain lane citation

Asked about 2 years ago - Blue Ridge, GA

We had been traveling behind a car for over 5 miles when 100 hundred feet before a turn off he slams his breaks on to turn off. We were over two car lengths behind him but I slammed my breaks on to avoid hitting him and we went into a spin and our vehicle clipped a utility trailer in the opposite lane. Georgia state patrol gave me a citation for failure to maintain lane. He said if I hit the car in front I would have got a citation for following to cllose. How and can I fight this? I just don't see how I can get cited when I was spinning.

1. Russell Greer Keener

Pro

4

Answered . I think you accidentally entered your question twice by mistake friend.

2. Matthew Stuart Cochran

3

Answered . You can obviously go to court and try to argue the citations, however they will likely stick. If you had been following at a proper distance you would have been able to stop in an orderly fashion and wouldn't have ended up spinning out into another lane. Obviously you were attempting to avoid rear-ending the person in front of you, which is good, but you still failed to maintain your lane.

3. Kenneth L. Shigley

Pro

3

Answered . There is no automatic legal presumption against you, but as a practical matter I think you will lose this one in traffic court. I hope you have reported the incident to your insurance carrier, which will be obligated to provide coverage and a defense for the claims against you which are likely coming.

http://www.atlantainjurylawyer.com/attorney-lawyer-1008563.html