In a "true default case", filing for divorce, is it possible to receive judgment in less than 6 months from service in CA?

Asked 9 months ago - Costa Mesa, CA

My spouse would not agree to a summary dissolution, even though we qualify, so I had to petition for divorce. It has been 30 days since I served him and he has not responded. We have no kids, no major assets or debts, etc. and I do want any spousal support, so there is also no written agreement. If I file for judgment now, will it still take 6 months to receive judgment or can it be sooner? Thank you

1. Michael Charles Schwerin

4

Answered . If you do it correctly you can have a Judgment a lot faster than 6 months. The Judgment will not be effective until 6 months and 1 day after the Respondent was served with the Summons and Petition.

2. Katherine Chilin Wu

4

Answered . In California, all divorces will take at least 6 months. This is because of a mandatory waiting period under California law. The 6 months are measured from the date that the divorce papers are officially filed and served on the other spouse.

Assuming everything has gone smoothly and you got all the correct paperwork turned in, your waiting period probably began about 30 days ago. You may actually be able to get a judgment approved sooner than the 6 month mark. However, even with an approved judgment, the divorce won't actually be final until the 6 months have passed.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

3. Stephen Peter Anderson

Pro

3

Answered . The six month period is statutory in California, and therefore, mandatory. You can prepare and submit the paperwork, but the judgment terminating your marital status won't be dated and issued until that time droid has run.

4. Barbara Ellen McNamara

Pro

1

Answered . The minimum statutory time for the divorce to be final is 6 months and one day from the date Husband is served. File your Proof of Service of Summons, then file your "Request for Default." After your Default is filed with the Court then draft your "Default Judgment" for filing with the court. Make sure you serve the husband with a conformed filed copy of the final filed Default Judgment.