In 3 0r 4 months i am going to move out of my landlord is known for not returning deposits..i pay my bills on tim

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

e..i dont trust that he will give it i am going to see a lawyer and take all my receipts and any correspondence that i have to make sure i get my money back..can he kick me out for this?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Barry A. Stein


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Kick you out for what? Seeing an attorney? He wont know you saw an attorney and the consultation should be confidential. The only way to assure the return of your security deposit is to pay all rental due through the end of the lease timely AND to make sure the apartment is in good condition once you vacate. Take pictures to esablish the condition when you leave including the appliances.

    The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual... more
  2. Gregg J Ormond

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would add to Mr. Stein's answer that you also video tape the condition of the apartment and have a witness there who can testify as to the date, time and condition of the apartment as well. You should also insist on a walk through with the landlord on a set date and notify him of that by certified mail. Then tape and photograph that as well. Some landlords that are less than honest may reject your proposals, but if they do, you will have much greater weight in front of the judge that will ultimately make the decisions. Also, if you get a notice of claim on your security deposit from the landlord, be sure and immediately object and reply in writing and send it by certified mail.

  3. Carol Lynne Zimmerly

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Make sure to send a proper non-renewal letter within the time frame called for in the written lease. Send it certified return receipt requested.

    Also, send the landlord your new mailing address in a letter as soon as you know it. A post office box is best. Make sure you send that certified as well.

    Take plenty of pictures of the condition of the premises and save them.

    The landlord cannot terminate the lease agreement term because you go seek legal advice. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,903 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,903 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary