Skip to main content

In 2007, I filed for bankruptcy but the case was dismissed and my debt remained. Can I get it removed from my credit report?

San Pedro, CA |

The chapter 7 case was dismissed and I have the paperwork. I'm trying to buy a house and my credit, although it's getting better, is being hurt by the bankruptcy appearing. I was told about being able to possibly get the case vacated. Is this accurate? Also, my sister and I had a joint account and she filed (separately, with her husband) for chapter 13 bankruptcy and now it shows up on my credit report as if I filed as well. What can I do?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Once you file any bankruptcy, it will stay on your credit report for 10 years. The fact that the bankruptcy did not go through doesn't prevent the truthful reporting that the bankruptcy was filed, and federal law allows this Bankruptcy to be reported for 10 years. Hope this perspective helps!

  2. The filing of the bankruptcy triggers the credit report entry. The outcome of the bankruptcy (discharged, dismissed, denied, etc) is largely irrelevant. Bankruptcy can stay on your credit report for 10 years. Your credit report can contain true and accurate information about. If you filed bankruptcy, that fact can be reported. However, if the bankruptcy is that old, it really shouldn't be affecting your credit or your ability to buy a house.

    As for the joint account, you need to dispute that bankruptcy entry with the credit reporting agencies.

  3. I agree with the previous answers. However, most people recover from a bankruptcy discharge within a few years, they even start receiving credit card offers after 6 months. In your case because your bankruptcy was dismissed and not discharged, your outstanding debt is probably what is impacting your credit. In many cases, collection and charge off accounts will drastically affect a person's credit file. You should consult with a law firm in your area that will review your credit report to make sure these old debts are reporting correctly as closed accounts and make sure you don't have any outstanding liability. You should also consult with an attorney in your area to figure out your financial liability for the account your sister is trying to discharge through bankruptcy. Good luck and I hope this was useful!

    NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an attorney must engage in a consultation with a prospective client and review any pertinent documents. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Rochelle N Belnap or Belnap & Forbes, PLLC.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics