In 2006, I was accused of theft and terminated from my job. It's 2013 and I was just found not guilty. Can I sue for defamation?

Asked over 1 year ago - South Bend, IN

I lived 1 block away from the place I worked, so I'm not sure why the warrant was never issued to me literally for 6 years. Since my termination, I wasn't able to find any steady jobs, and now I know why, because I had a felony on my background checks and didn't even know it. I am currently starting the process of getting the Felony charge off of my record, but I need money to do so. Do I have a chance and what would the ballpark be for compensation?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Bradley Alan Keffer

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to speak with an attorney that handles defamation claims. Your question givens no information and a defamation lawyer will need the details of your case to determine if you have a claim, who any potential claim may be against, and the extent to which you may be able to recover.

    By using this website, you agree to the following additional terms of use. The materials provided are for... more
  2. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Very likely the time limits for bringing a defamation case have long passed. Confirm by consultation with a local defamation or employment attorney.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  3. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . In most states, the time period for bringing a defamation action is one, butr no more than 2 years and usually commences to run from the date of the "publication" of the defamatory remark (whether verbally or in writing). You face a likelihood that you are barred from commencing a defamation action given the passage of 6 years, but consult an attorney in your area to see if the delay in the resolution of the criminal action acts to give you an extension of time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,480 answers this week

3,138 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,480 answers this week

3,138 attorneys answering