In 2005, my husband filed for divorce. I responded, then he left the state without following up.

Asked about 2 years ago - Benson, AZ

I have never heard from him again, and I have no idea where he is. The court notified me in late 2005 that the suit would expire in 45 days. I went to file the motion a couple of weeks later, and they said the case had been closed. I published legal separation at that time. Is there any way we can just be done with this without it costing me more than the pointless $150 I paid to respond to the original suit? We have neither children nor property between us.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. David E Ledyard

    Contributor Level 12
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Sampair's answer finding a lawyer in Cochise County and completing your divorce could be a good investment in the long run.

  2. Patrick S Sampair


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You are actually looking at a higher cost than $150.

    You are looking at court costs and publication costs if you do your own paperwork, more if you hire someone to assist you. In Maricopa County, the cost to file a new divorce action is currently $321.00, I am not sure if it is the same in your county. Depending on where you publish the summons for 4 consecutive weeks, you are looking at around $75-$125 cost for that.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

    Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Uncontested divorce

An uncontested divorce is one in which spouses agree on relevant issues such as division of property, child custody/support, and alimony.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,386 answers this week

3,341 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,386 answers this week

3,341 attorneys answering