In 2004 I had a disc operated on in my back and the surgery went badly with the surgeon cutting my spinal cord

Olympia, WA |

I just found out he was not board certified to do the. Surgery is it to late to bring a case against him? A top surgeon at Swedish Hospital in Seattle knows the doctor and hospital and says they should have never let him do the surgery. I can walk but I have Claudia equine syndrome now, would any lawyer take this case and is it to late?

1. The first issue is how long is the statute of limtations in WA. The statute of limitations is the time limit for filing a lawsuit against the doctor. Generally it begins to run at the time of your injury.However I would suggets you speak to a local medical malpractive lawyer. I can't speak for your area, but here in PA, the initial consultation is free. The lawyer can ask you the appropriate qustions to see if you can at least get over the statute of limitatins issue

2. I am terribly sorry for your mishandled operation. I agree with mr. Heslin, the first issue would be establishing what the statute of limitations is and when that time began. I would suggest consulting a local medical malpractice attorney about your situation. Best of luck.

3. Medical malpractice actions in the State of Washington must be brought within three years of the act or omission alleged to have caused the injury or one year after the discovery of the alleged negligent act or omission, whichever period expires later, and no later than eight years after the malpractice occurred. (See RCW 4.16.350.)

The statute of limitations may bar you from suing the doctor who cut your spinal cord, but you should nevertheless contact a personal injury attorney who specializes in medical malpractice cases to determine whether it's possible to file a lawsuit in your case. These cases are notoriously difficult to prosecute (and also very expensive), which is why there are so few personal injury attorneys who specialize in this field. If you need the name of some local attorneys who may be able to help you, please feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email and I will be happy to speak with you. Best of luck.

The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. The Scott Law Firm, PLLC disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by The Scott Law Firm, PLLC and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.

Medical malpractice topics