In 2003 I applied for a job, I declined the job after an interview. Ever since then my information (SS#, Identity) was stolen.

Rosemont, IL |

I am a victim of wage garnishment, in 2006 I filed for IDES benefits. I received $6000.00. IDES informed me that someone was stealing my information. I made a police report and went to IDES to discuss the situation. They understood I was following up with them. All they would have me do is tell them what companies I had not worked for. Since it was a numerous amount of companies which my Social Security Number was being used for I had to follow up a lot. IDES in Illinois did not ask me to do much, only to come back after making the police report to repeat the company delete process My life and financial credibility have been tarnished. I do not even have a reputed credit score, and I have to question my abilities to find a job because of this situation. Can I sue the company responsible?

It might be possible to sue them, but those cases are an uphill battle, unless you have some proof they hired somebody they should have know was a risk and gave that person access to your personal information. If you haven't gotten all of the identity theft accounts off your credit report, there might be legal action you could pursue against the credit bureaus and/or the companies reporting identity theft accounts to credit bureaus. If you have already send the bureaus and those companies a dispute and a police report, and they haven't blocked the reporting of the accounts, you should see a consumer law attorney about the possibility of filing a Fair Credit Reporting Act case. Most will provide a free consultation and take good FCRA cases on a contingency basis.

The above response is not intended to create, nor does it create either an attorney-client relationship or an ongoing duty to respond to questions. It is intended to be solely the educated opinion of the author and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Some responses may be advertising material. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the inquiring person and additional or differing facts might change the response. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the state of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the inquiring party should consult a local attorney for specific answers and advice. Answering this question does not create a duty to keep information confidential, nor does it prevent me from representing an adverse party. Advertising Materials.

As far as I know my credit has not been tarnished but, I believe that all the alleged companies I have "worked" for have a negative impact on employment seeking. The companies I work for would show up in a background check? Correct? I'm sure I was not the only victim. The company which did this was my third company I worked for over all, so it's not hard for me to see that this company gave up my information. Since I never did work for them. I just went for an interview. Would you happen to know of a good lawyer for this situation?

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Asker - Ms. Goodwin's firm is the best choice for this sort of matter. Her firm is highly respected all over the state.

I strongly urge you to consult one of Chicago's excellent attorneys in person for guided, detailed advice

Would your office deal with these situations Mr. Brinkmeier? My credit has not been tarnished but multiple employers are employing numerous people with my social security number. Is there a way for the company to disclose the people that have been affected? A way to make them disclose it?

I concur with Ms. Goodwin's excellent answer.

Please note that no attorney-client relationship is created by my answers to questions on the Avvo forum. My responses should not be construed as legal advice, regardless of whether I am admitted to practice in your state or not. I am an attorney in Miami Beach, FL, practicing foreclosure, bankruptcy, credit repair, debt defense, and aviation law. Please consult a lawyer in your state if you seek legal advice.