In 2001,I was an innocent victim of a crime. The court ordered the defendant to pay $34,000 plus in restitution.

Asked about 1 year ago - Charlotte, NC

I have never received a dime. How can I go about enforcing the court's ruling and get the money that was owed?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Ernest Clarke Dummit

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The person is probably long finished with probation. The restitution should have been converted to a civil judgement. Talk to a civil attorney about how hard it is to collect a civil judgement. But you need to talk to a civil attorney.
    Good luck getting blood out of a turnip. You need to try to assess whether it is worth pursuing economically or not by determining if the person has any assets

  2. Anthony Michael Solis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the defendant has the money, you can get at it. If he's broke, you're not likely to recover anything. In some jurisdictions, restitution orders can be transferred into civil judgments and collected upon in civil court. Discuss this with an attorney in the Charlotte area that either do criminal and are familiar with restitution orders or civil attorneys familiar with judgment collection.

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,264 answers this week

3,140 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,264 answers this week

3,140 attorneys answering