In 2001,I was an innocent victim of a crime. The court ordered the defendant to pay $34,000 plus in restitution.

Charlotte, NC |

I have never received a dime. How can I go about enforcing the court's ruling and get the money that was owed?

The person is probably long finished with probation. The restitution should have been converted to a civil judgement. Talk to a civil attorney about how hard it is to collect a civil judgement. But you need to talk to a civil attorney.
Good luck getting blood out of a turnip. You need to try to assess whether it is worth pursuing economically or not by determining if the person has any assets

If the defendant has the money, you can get at it. If he's broke, you're not likely to recover anything. In some jurisdictions, restitution orders can be transferred into civil judgments and collected upon in civil court. Discuss this with an attorney in the Charlotte area that either do criminal and are familiar with restitution orders or civil attorneys familiar with judgment collection.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia