In 1983, I was charged with intent to defraud the State of Texas (long story) but I was given deferred adjudication and 1 year

Asked over 1 year ago - San Antonio, TX

of supervised probation. If I successfully completed probation (which I did) then the charge was dismissed (which it was). How would this show up in background checks and would I benefit from having this record sealed as far as employment is concerned or would it even matter because it was so long ago and I shouldn't even bother?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Daniel Jason Corno

    Contributor Level 12


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Typically a person doing a background search will see the arrest and the dismissal. You can probably get it sealed in the State of Texas. I recommend speaking to an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you through the process.

    Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.... more
  2. Stephen Neil Foster

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . What you are most likely entitled to is an "order of non-disclosure" which technically does not take it off of your record but can keep it from coming up on public background checks like it does now.

    A lawyer will be able to check your specific case resolution and tell you how completely they can conceal the history of your criminal record.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,782 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,782 answers this week

3,032 attorneys answering