In "Joint Tenancy" there is a loan or refinance loan taken out by one of the owners, upon death, then how is loan repaid?

My concern is that my trust will have to pay off a loan that I have refinanced on a property where I am in joint tenancy? Does the survivor from joint tenancy on a property become responsible for the refinanced loan?

The loan is repaid by the remaining joint tenant according to its terms. The law prevents the lender from calling the loan due pursuant to a due-on-sale clause, provided the loan is secured by a lien on residential real property containing less than 5 units.

See, Garn-St. Germain Depository Institutions Regulation Act, 12 U.S. Code § 1701j–3 - Preemption of due-on-sale prohibitions

“(d) Exemption of specified transfers or dispositions
With respect to a real property loan secured by a lien on residential real property containing less than five dwelling units, including a lien on the stock allocated to a dwelling unit in a cooperative housing corporation, or on a residential manufactured home, a lender may not exercise its option pursuant to a due-on-sale clause upon—

(3) a transfer by devise, descent, or operation of law on the death of a joint tenant or tenant by the entirety….”

My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. <br> <br> I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult an attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction for advice and counsel. See, also, Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br>

This a great site and very helpful. Thanks to all for your speedy response.