In '07 I was in a DUI accident. No proof to show who was driving my car. I was found guilty. Any way I can get out of this?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

In '07 I was in a DUI car accident, where my car hit a parked car. Neither me or the other person in my car remember anything, but pictures show him in the drivers seat with feet on passenger side. The courts found me guilty and I was curious if there is any way to get money to help me pay all the fines, fees and penalties for this accident or even to get the conviction reduced/dropped.

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

5

Answered . The time period to appeal has long since passed in your case. I'm not sure what pictures you're talking about, but you were convicted (I don't know if it was after a jury trial or court trial) based on the evidence presented.

This would be a major undertaking to try and undo a 6-7 year old conviction and goes way beyond a simple post online. You'll have to sit down face to face with an attorney in your area. You need a criminal attorney that focuses on post-conviction relief.

2. Troy D Krenning

6

Answered . You need to search for a post-conviction lawyer in your area to discuss any rights to set aside a conviction. It is a VERY difficult task, and given the time, may be too late. Look for an attorney who handles post conviction or criminal appeals. Good luck. As for the fines and costs, you may want to consult with a bankruptcy lawyer, these types of debt are not often dischargable, but a good bankruptcy lawyer in your area can easily answer for you.

3. Philip Daniel Hache

Pro

3

Answered . Was this based on a plea to a conviction, or did you go to trial (ie. jury or bench trial) and found guilty. Regardless, it will be very difficult if even possible at all to overturn a conviction from so long ago. You should speak to an attorney in your area in further detail to see if there is anything creative that can be done, but I would say it will likely be an uphill battle at best.

4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

3

Answered . If you were found guilty more than a year ago, there is virtually nothing that can be done to get the conviction changed.

As for a way to get money, that is called a job, or finding charity.