Improper service of court documents

Boston, MA |

I suspect my wife may have filed for divorce but won't tell me. She has my address and all, but what happens if she claims I have disappeared?

1. Check with clerk's office

Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

-
    ---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=853aa98625fe162f3da7eccd58245e79b2cbc5ce81124207666ea8d449934fa136c5f0e549fd9b43 ) ----------------------------------------

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

2. The easy thing to do is to check with Probate Court and see if she filed. She has to file in the county that you lived in as a couple unless both you and your wife have left that county. In that case, she has to file in either the county where she lives or the county where you live.

THIS COMMUNICATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE CREATION OF AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. Legal rights vary greatly depending on specific facts, and it is impossible on the basis of the recitation of a few facts to determine whether or not an individual has a viable case, what is the full range of options, or what limitations exist which may bar an individual's potential claims. ON THE BASIS OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED TO ME, I RECOMMEND THAT YOU PROMPTLY CONSULT AN ATTORNEY TO DETERMINE THE SCOPE OF LEGAL RECOURSE, IF ANY, YOU MAY HAVE. YOU SHOULD NOT RELY ON ANYTHING I HAVE STATED AS ADVICE TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN TO CONSULT AN ATTORNEY TO DISCUSS FULLY AN APPROPRIATE COURSE OF ACTION.

3. The effect of improper notice may be that the court will dismiss the complaint. If your wife has filed for divorce, let the clerk know that you have not received notice. Good luck!

Gary S. Sinclair is an attorney licensed to practice in Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law or a simple reading of the law in your jurisdiction. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to your question. The information provided should NOT be relied upon for making legal decisions. You will be best served by hiring an attorney in your area who specializes in the field of law pertinent to your question.