Improper reporting of late payment on Mortgage

Asked about 6 years ago - Webberville, MI

Countrywide Home Loans reported to all credit report agencies that My Sept 2008 payment was late, when in fact it was not. This has impacted my credit score as well as my wife's. Is there anything you can do when they report false information like this?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Mark M. Bello

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Write a letter to all three credit bureaus contesting the entry and ask them to investigate. Send a letter to Countrywide indicating that the payment was not late (If you have a canceled check or other evidence, send them a copy) and ask them to notify the credit bureaus that the payment was not late and report was in error. If these efforts fail, you can pursue a slander of credit action against Countrywide using an attorney who specializes in consumer protection issues. I recommend Googling "Michigan Consumer Protection Lawyer" or calling the Michigan Association for Justice in Lansing and asking for a referral to a consumer protection specialist.

  2. Avvo Staff Moderator

    Answered . There is a means to report incorrect information on any credit report or dispute entries - contact the reporting agency to find out the process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,540 answers this week

3,456 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,540 answers this week

3,456 attorneys answering