Implied acceptance of a lease with option to purchase in Colorado? Unsigned lease agreement.

Fort Collins, CO |

Paid my Landlord $2115 in advance before relocating my Family from Southern California to Colorado. The verbal agreement was: To secure our rental and take it off the market, our Landlord asked us to send him $2115 to cover the prorated rent ($364) for the remainder of July, $1000 downpayment for purchase option and $750 for security deposit. He told us that if we decided not to take the option when we got here our $2115 would be converted to two months rent and security deposit. Never signed lease or option to purchase. Discovered large colonies of mold our Landlord knowingly covered up with suspicious plastic panels down our hallway. After speaking to landlord he is evicting us and saying our unsigned lease purchase option is binding?

This matter began out of a dispute regarding a $5 an hour pay differential that my Landlord/Boss took with out notice. Evicting us and firing me was his response to my inquiry as to what happened to my pay.

An unsigned lease option is not valid. Such an agreement must be in writing and signed. Beyond that, it sounds like you have a complicated situation with several issues and you really should sit down and review everything with an attorney.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Interested?

You were absolutely right about everything in your answer:) And if I am real lucky, Mr.Leroi, who has been helping me with answers to my questions here on Avvo, might help me with a brief consultation :)