Implications of a petty theft in California?

Pasadena, CA |

I found info online (public record) that a certain friend of mine was involved in a theft back in 2009 I think and the records showed a $20,000 bail. I recently discovered that in January she was caught for petty theft at Macy's, but the public record for that showed $0.00 for the bail amount, so not sure why no bail this time. Maybe because petty theft is a misdemeanor and for those there are no bail amounts because you do not go to jail? How would these two actions affect her record? I am bothered with this because she's my age (30) and it's as if she has nothing else to do in her life then get herself in trouble when she can work like everyone else. The thing is that she lives alone, has a personal trainer at the gym, drives a brand new Honda civic, gets her nails done each week, but

she is not working! Well, she told me that she's working, but can't tell me what she does, so when I say she is not working, I mean that she's not working like us...obviously she's doing something shady and does not want to say how she makes her living. I think because her background is messed up, she does not have too many choices in terms of working. Not knowing the laws well, I would like to understand how the above two thefts can affect her background? Thank you. P.S. her theft involve shoplifting from store twice as she steals clothes. I am assuming she later sells them for more or something...i don't know.

Why are you checking her background? It sounds like she smartened up and obtained a lawyer for the second petty theft, since they are "priorable" which means the plea bargain she is offered will have an enhancement. She probably got released on her own recognizance, and the matter may still be pending. Macy's loss prevention rarely gives civil compromises, so perhaps her lawyer is pushing it to trial for the best offer or an infraction (unlikely, unless it was under $50.00) The law changed making petty theft up to $950.00 (it used to be $450.00). One thing is clear: your friend has a problem with shoplifting and needs to get some help. If she doesn't have a lawyer she needs one but she also needs counseling and/or some shoplifting classes. LAW OFFICES OF VICTORIA CLEMANS, OWNER (310) 803-9111.

This is a general statement regarding law and facts and should not be construed as an attorney-client relationship or a solicitation for same.

Thank you for the only helpful answer in here and for answering my question directly.

If I understand your post correctly you want the attorneys here to speculate about the personal life and financial affairs of your "friend" based on some scraps of info that you pulled off the internet that may or may not be true or current. You have no colorable reason for needing any of this information. Certainly you must have issues and matters pertaining to your own life that you could be productively focused on instead of nosing about your friend's personal business?

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

She's not your friend and you're a rival in disguise. Geez! Get on with your life.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Your friend sounds like a kleptomaniac, you sound jealous. The issue is what are you most jealous about: that she lives alone, has a personal trainer, drives a Honda Civic, or that she gets her nails done every week? You gals sound like a match made in heaven. Good luck

right...I forgot for a second that it is people like you who make money from people like her...so in reality it is a match made in heaven when it comes to you. good day.

P.S. I drive a paid off Lexus (2009), so can't really be jealous of her Civic, can't stand plastic nails as I find them gross and I do my own nails just fine, and I also attend the gym too except without a personal trainer as I do not need one, so not sure why I would be jealous of someone with a screwed up record and a shoplifter as far as I am concerned regardless of our acquaintance/friendship. Capish?!

Vijay Dinakar

Vijay Dinakar

Capish. I know nothing about you so I didnt mean any disrespect, just trying to provide a little levity. Wish you the best

Nicholas Milan Loncar

Nicholas Milan Loncar

Can we just replace "capish" and "capish" with "capisci" and "capisco", respectively.

Vijay Dinakar

Vijay Dinakar

Assolutamente

համաձայն եմ