Skip to main content

Implications for changing LLC name in NJ

Branchburg, NJ |

I read several replies regarding topic. I understand that I can either:

To change the name of the LLC, you have 2 choices:

1. File an amendment to the Certificate of Formation; or
2. File an Alternate Name registration (this has the advantage of permitting you to use both names.)

For option #1, fee is $100. Is there anything else I have to do (such as local paper advertising, etc)?

For option #2, fee is $50. If I obtain another EIN for the second name, do I have to pay the annual filing fee (also $50) for per name (total of $100)?

Thank you!

Attorney Answers 1


The filing is all that is required. I do not see why you would obtain a second EIN if the LLC is a trade name for the original one. You can make it a subsidiary and keep is as a single tax entity and there is far less tax filing to do. There should be only one annual registration fee required unless the state determines that these are two distinct businesses and should be legally separate.
The questioner might find some of my legal guides helpful:
From my legal guides on law in general and about attorneys
Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?
Selecting and Hiring a Lawyer
Understanding the Different Court Systems

An Introduction to Legal Terms used in Litigation
How to Succeed in Business.
Taxes Rules and Regulations

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply inappropriate. Mr. Sarno strongly recommends the poster confer with a NJ business attorney.

Mark as helpful

Litigation topics

Recommended articles about Litigation

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics