Impact of first offense Petty Theft of $58 on Immigration Status. What impact does this have on my permanent residence status?

Asked 9 months ago - Riverview, FL

I was arrested over the weekend and release the next day. The offense I was arrested for is my first and only offense ever. I have been charged with Petty Theft ($58 in merchandise) and I am currently awaiting notification of my court date. I need a criminal defense lawyer who is also competent in Immigration law.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

2

Best Answer

Answered . The first offense of petty theft should have no effect on your immigration status. Make sure you don't do that again and hire a competent criminal defense lawyer to take care of this, and perhaps lower it to "trespass on chattels", "disorderly conduct" or something like that.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

1

Answered . None. But you will only be cut some slack once. Remember that.

3. Heath D. Harte

Pro

2

1

Answered . repost your question under immigration. it's a good question.

4. Kevin D Slattery

Pro

Answered . If you hire a criminal defense attorney who does not have any knowledge of immigration law, you should ask him to consult with an immigration attorney before entering any pleas, etc. Although it sounds like your offense, if the only one you have ever had, would qualify for what is called the petty offense exception in immigration law, there may be advantages to pursuing other forms of relief in your criminal case than, for example, a quick no contest plea. A diversion program agreement with the prosecutor's office might be more helpful to you than relying only on the petty offense exception. You should likely schedule an in-office consultation with an immigration attorney.