Skip to main content

Immigration status & military law

Smyrna, GA |

I have always wanted to join the us military & accomplish my dreams. I was raised here since i was 11 and i consider the us my country...can i join the military (navy) if im an illegal alien. I have my i94 but im not sure if i can join with that.

Attorney Answers 8

  1. Best answer

    How old are you? You may qualify for DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival). That will enable you to get a Social Security # & perhaps a driver license, if GA law permits the license. With or without that you should be able to enlist in the military. Call a local recruiting office and ask. You will likely need the assistance of an immigration lawyer to process your DACA status.

    The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. My understanding is you cannot enlist unless you have legal status.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  3. Your ambition is commendable but as the law currently stands, you can only join the military if you are a US citizen or lawful permanent resident.

  4. You are not eligible to join any braches of U.S. military because of your undocumented status.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602

  5. How old are you? You may have options if you are willing to wait while you work on changing your status.

  6. Are you positive that you do not have legal status in this country? You need to consult with an Immigration Attorney. Once you gain status, you may be able to enlist. Once enlisted (and after fulfilling certain other requirements), you can apply for citizenship.

  7. No. Must be legal.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

  8. Absolutely, positively Not. You must be a lawful permanent resident to enlist and must be. US citizen to be commissioned. Sorry

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics