Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 - Signed into law by President Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986

Smyrna, GA |

1) legalized illegal immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1982 but what happened to all those immigrants who entered after January 1, 1982 ???

2) The reason I'm asking this bcoz if in future if there is any IMMIGRATION REFORM what will be the date that an immigrants need to be in usa.

Please answer both the questions

This answer will not help you much.....but, I think it is impossible to predict today whether there will be immigration reform, though it seems like politicians are motivated to do something. But, even with a crystal ball, I don't think anyone will know the answer to your question #2 until the law actually passes.

Thanks for the help but i still wanna know what happened to the immigrants who entered after after January 1, 1982 are they still undocumented?

Eric Elliot Ludin

Eric Elliot Ludin

It's possible they are still undocumented. It would depend on the individual and whether they were able to apply for and recieve a waiver. Generally speaking, they would either be undocumented or they have left the country unless there is some other way they were able to become legal.

Thank u :)

There are many types of relief available to immigrants based on their individual situation.

There is no way to know what relief will become available in the future and what the requirements will be for that relief.

1) They either left the U.S. or are living here illegally.

2) It's impossible to know right now if there will be immigration reform that confers amnesty on a large group of immigrants, nevermind which date would be used in such a case.

www.gassonlaw.com - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

Mark Robert Barr

Mark Robert Barr

I would modify #1 by saying; They either left the U.S., voluntarily or involuntarily, or are living here illegally, or obtained status by another means.

Kristina A. Gasson

Kristina A. Gasson

True.

There were a number of different laws that followed (you're talking about a 30-year stretch) so there were different options for different people. It's impossible to tell you what exact paths they took.

Immigration reforms in the past have all (im pretty sure) required a certain date of presence or cut-off to qualify. What, if any, reform is forthcoming is purely speculative at this juncture.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at www.tunitskylaw.com. Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at veronica@tunitskylaw.com. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.