Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 - Signed into law by President Ronald Reagan on November 6, 1986

Asked over 1 year ago - Smyrna, GA

1) legalized illegal immigrants who entered the United States before January 1, 1982 but what happened to all those immigrants who entered after January 1, 1982 ???

2) The reason I'm asking this bcoz if in future if there is any IMMIGRATION REFORM what will be the date that an immigrants need to be in usa.

Please answer both the questions

1. Kristina A. Gasson

3

Answered . 1) They either left the U.S. or are living here illegally.

2) It's impossible to know right now if there will be immigration reform that confers amnesty on a large group of immigrants, nevermind which date would be used in such a case.

2. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

2

Answered . There are many types of relief available to immigrants based on their individual situation.

There is no way to know what relief will become available in the future and what the requirements will be for that relief.

3. Veronica Tunitsky

2

Answered . There were a number of different laws that followed (you're talking about a 30-year stretch) so there were different options for different people. It's impossible to tell you what exact paths they took.

Immigration reforms in the past have all (im pretty sure) required a certain date of presence or cut-off to qualify. What, if any, reform is forthcoming is purely speculative at this juncture.

4. Eric Elliot Ludin

1

Answered . This answer will not help you much.....but, I think it is impossible to predict today whether there will be immigration reform, though it seems like politicians are motivated to do something. But, even with a crystal ball, I don't think anyone will know the answer to your question #2 until the law actually passes.