Immigration question

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Maybe it's too late but I applied for O-1 during my grace period of M-1. I got the approval, but USCIS said I'm not eligible to change the status in the us. I have all the documents with dates on clearly shows that I applied it during the grace period. My lawyer filed the motion to correct the fact. During that time, USCIS demanded the copy of I-94 again, but unfortunately it was lost. My lawyer said he couldn't replace it. After about 7 months, the motion was somehow approved but I had to leave the country and get the visa at the embassy in my country. Now the case is pending at USCIS again after the officer finding me not qualified. I know I have to talk to my lawyer and I have been. And I'm happy to wait. But I'm asking you guys if there's anything I could do to make things straight.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Irrelevant if you already departed the US. All you can now do is apply of the M-1visa at the consulate.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you already left the U.S., it is water under the bridge. Apply for M-1 at the Consulate.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now