Immigration question.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Milwaukee, WI

I just got married to a US Citizen. I'm an alien who came on a visa. I have no criminal record.
She was on assistance a month before we got married. Now she is no more. She has a job but doesn't make the 125% for sponsorship and i know i will need a second sponsor.
1. My concern is will her being on gov't assistance just before we got married jeopardize my GC application?
2. She never had a job and never filed taxes for 2 years. Will that be an issue? She will file the I-130 for me after filing for taxes next year (2013).
Thank you for your time.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

2

Answered . This is only an issue with regard to her ability to execute an affidavit of support on your behalf. You will need a co-sponsor.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Stephen D. Berman

2

1

Answered . If she has not filed income taxes for the last two years, it very likely will be a problem for the affidavit of support. You will need a joint sponsor in any case, since her income is under 125% of the poverty rate.

3. Eric Elliot Ludin

2

Best Answer

Answered . You will need to prove that your marriage is legitimate and it wasn't done to benefit your wife financially or to help you get a green card. I understand that money is an issue for you now, but I strongly recommend that you speak to an immigration attorney before you do anything. I expect the USCIS will be suspicious of everyone's motives in light of your wife's financial problems.

4. Stuart D.P. Gilgannon

Pro

1

1

Answered . Your wife being on welfare benefits should not be a huge issue, neither should her not filing taxes so long as there was no filing requirement. Having a joint sponsor should address these concerns.

414-758-5245 * www.gilgannonlaw.com * stuart@gilgannonlaw.com
  5. Gintare Grigaite

2

1

Answered . Concerning your green card, you will need to prove good faith marriage. As for financial support, you already addressed that too, you will need a co-sponsor.

6. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

2

1

Answered . I highly recommend you and your wife schedule an appointment over phone or in person with an immigration attorney to screen for the strength of the case and financial concerns. It could seem like a paid arrangement for your wife if she was previously on government assistance. If you have a real marriage you will have to prove it.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.