Immigration question - Citizenship Application

Asked about 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I applied for naturalization last week. After sending in my N-400 form and the divorce decree, i Just realized my ex-husband put a separation date on the divorce application, that is before we applied to remove conditions on the green card(it was a mistake on us) . We were still together that year and have a joint lease and joint filed taxes. Divorce date is not issue since it was a year and a half after i received my permanent card. Would i have any problems on the interview ? Is there any actions i should take ? (My ex husband said he could write a notarized letter that says it was a mistake on his part and the correct date should have been a year later )

I am applying naturalization based on a 5 yr rule.

1. Young Ah Ri

3

Answered . If the separation date is to draw adjudicator's attention, you may be asked at the interview to be given a chance to explain. You may want to consult with an immigration attorney to prepare yourself for all possible scenarios. My office is in downtown Chicago if you need my assistance.

2. Karin Wolman

Pro

4

Answered . If you are concerned about any discrepancy in the dates given in the petition to remove conditions on residence, your N-400, or the divorce decree itself, you should bring copies of the documents and consult with an attorney, as that is too specific for an online forum.

3. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . That is a serious error and it may come up at the interview. If that is the only evidence against you, USCIS may choose to overlook it. But they could refer your case to investigations. Your ex husband's affidavit will do little or nothing to help.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . You provided a clear example why it is crucial to have a professional immigration attorney to handle an important immigration matter that involves considerable immigration benefits. Consider retaining counsel.