Immigration procedure, (AAO) - Can I overstay while my Motion for Reconsideration is being reviewed?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Antonio, TX

1. Because of the overstay while the motion is pending, when I try to re-enter in the future could I be denied entry?

2. I'm from Europe but we are currently in Texas. Can I go to the Mexican border to update my status or do I have to return to my specific to do so? - Entered on WT

Attorney answers (3)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . By entering WT, you gave up the ability to change or extend your status in the US. The denial you received is correct as a matter of law. You will gain absolutely nothing by filing a motion or appeal. You will, on the other hand, lose the ability to return to the US for at least three years, if not ten years, if you continue to stay in the US. The three year bar will apply once you have been in the US for 180 days from the date your I-94 expired.

    If your I94 has already expired, you are no longer eligible for WT and will need to return to your home country to obtain a B-1/B-2 visa. Your overstay will make that difficult.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Neil Ian Fleischer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I believe you asked this yesterday. If you applies for a change of status, you will be wasting your time appealing a denial.. there is no change of status for those who enter visa waiver . YOu will want to consult an attorney who can advise you on unlawful presence and the LACK of tolling time and the effect it will have on re-entry

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more
  3. Adriana Delpilar Rouselle

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your question is very specific, it will be in your best interest to personally review the facts with an experienced immigration attorney

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,751 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,751 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering