Skip to main content

Immigration Marriage Interview/ What to expect? Should I bring an Interpreter tho I can speak English? What NOT to do?

Seattle, WA |

I have been dealing with a Deportation issue since last year. Had my Master hearing last May, 2012 and the Judge gave me one more year since I got married with an American Citizen while being in the Deportation situation. I was just finally called for the Immigration Interview in two week. I know if I get approved then I can try to cancel the deportation court next year. Even though the marriage is "Bon fide" I am a bit worried because I know it will not be so simple since I met my wife and got married DURING the Deportation situation. I have heard they will most likely put us in different rooms and everything. I know this is all related to me so I do not want to let my wife freak out and be concerned about it. What should I expect in the interview? Any good advice for me, please? Thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you speak English then I would not bring an interpreter. You really should hire an attorney to at the very least prepare you and attend the interview. They likely will only seperate you and your wife if you do not convince them at the first interview. If your relationship is genuine then you should have provided or should provide evidence of that.

Andre Olivie, Esq.

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.


The best thing you can do for yourself at this point is to get a lawyer so she/he can prepare you and go with you to the interview. It's hard and impossible to conuslt you on the interview issues on this forum.

This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes.



I have a lawer, just wanted to hear some other advices! Thanks tho!


You must get immigration attorney. As to interpreter depends on office but most places provide thier own at government expense.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. (212)880-1538 Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit is a Full Service Immigration Law Office, at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer