Immigration law applying for citizenship

Draper, UT |

My ex domestic partner filled TPO against me a year ago; he took my money and refused to return money back. He went to police and falsely accused me and filled TPO. Police did not arrest me but asked me to leave his house (where we lived together). He did not show up in court on hearing and TPO was dismissed. I am applying for US citizenship now. Do I need to hire a lawyer or send INS copy of dismissed TPO? Thank you

Yes, you need an attorney. Domestic violence and violations of protection orders are very serious issues.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

You definitely would be well advised to hire an attorney.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Yes, definitely hire an experienced immigration lawyer to assist you with this process.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

TPO was dismissed. He did not show up in court. I got green card long time ago as a victim of DV through my ex husband.

Gintare Grigaite

Gintare Grigaite

Make sure that you have a certified disposition from the court where the TPO was filed, that it was dismissed.

Thank you very much for your respond

Gintare Grigaite

Gintare Grigaite

You are most welcome.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to at least schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney. Bring all of your immigration paperwork, and the documents related to the TRO. That attorney will give you a good idea of how vulnerable you might be with the pending applicatio for naturalization.

You say you're applying for citizenship now. How did you get your green card? I'm assuming it wasn't through the person who kicked you out of the house, since you are careful to call that person your domestic partner rather than your spouse. But did you get your green card based on a prior relationship and marriage to a U.S. citizen or green card holder? If so, the existence of this other relationship with your domestic partner, as evidenced by the TRO, might call into question the bona fides of the marital relationship through which you got your green card. That would be my main focus if I were looking at your materials.

But perhaps you got your green card in a different manner--like through a job--and the existence, and demise, of this relationship with your domestic partner doesn't call that residency application into question.

I'm rambling--go talk to an attorney and let her pore through all the documents. This might be serious, or it might be nothing.

The facts as presented are unclear. If you have been convicted of a violation of a protective order, you may have a deportable offense pursuant to INA section 237. Contact an experienced immigration attorney (someone who handles immigration and is very experienced) to review your criminal record before you file for Naturalization .

An exceptional AILA immigration attorney with 22 years of experience who can be reached at 801 656 9605.

No they did not convicted me. My ex went to police and accused me in violence. He got Temporary Protective Order that was dismissed during hearing. Every one can get TPO. There is no need to show any proof. During hearing petitioner should show evidences that defendant should be granted with TPO. He did not show up in court on hearing and judge dismissed TPO. I think it is civil case considering that TPO was dismissed but I am not sure. Thank you