Immigration law applying for citizenship

Asked over 1 year ago - Draper, UT

My ex domestic partner filled TPO against me a year ago; he took my money and refused to return money back. He went to police and falsely accused me and filled TPO. Police did not arrest me but asked me to leave his house (where we lived together). He did not show up in court on hearing and TPO was dismissed. I am applying for US citizenship now. Do I need to hire a lawyer or send INS copy of dismissed TPO? Thank you

1. F. J. Capriotti III

6

Answered . Yes, you need an attorney. Domestic violence and violations of protection orders are very serious issues.

2. Gintare Grigaite

5

Answered . Yes, definitely hire an experienced immigration lawyer to assist you with this process.

3. Mark Robert Barr

5

Answered . It wouldn't be a bad idea to at least schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney. Bring all of your immigration paperwork, and the documents related to the TRO. That attorney will give you a good idea of how vulnerable you might be with the pending applicatio for naturalization.

You say you're applying for citizenship now. How did you get your green card? I'm assuming it wasn't through the person who kicked you out of the house, since you are careful to call that person your domestic partner rather than your spouse. But did you get your green card based on a prior relationship and marriage to a U.S. citizen or green card holder? If so, the existence of this other relationship with your domestic partner, as evidenced by the TRO, might call into question the bona fides of the marital relationship through which you got your green card. That would be my main focus if I were looking at your materials.

But perhaps you got your green card in a different manner--like through a job--and the existence, and demise, of this relationship with your domestic partner doesn't call that residency application into question.

I'm rambling--go talk to an attorney and let her pore through all the documents. This might be serious, or it might be nothing.

4. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . You definitely would be well advised to hire an attorney.

5. Gloria Cardenas Conn

Pro

3

Answered . The facts as presented are unclear. If you have been convicted of a violation of a protective order, you may have a deportable offense pursuant to INA section 237. Contact an experienced immigration attorney (someone who handles immigration and is very experienced) to review your criminal record before you file for Naturalization .

An exceptional AILA immigration attorney with 22 years of experience who can be reached at 801 656 9605.