Immigration law, approval of I-130, waiting period for adjustment of status

Asked almost 6 years ago - Duncanville, TX

I AM A U.S. CITIZEN,I MET MY HUSBAND 5 YEARS AGO. THEN WE DECIDED TO GET MARRIED ON SEPTEMBER 2007. SHORTLY AFTER THAT, WE FILED A I-130 PETITION IN JANUARY 2008. THE USCIS RECEIVED IT ON FEBRUARY 2008. IN SEPTEMBER OF 2008 I RECEIVED A LETTER THAT THE PETITION HAS BEEN APPROVED,AND THEY HAVE SENT IT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE NATIONAL VISA CENTER.
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THIS? AND ONE MORE PIECE OF INFORMATION,HE ENTERED ILLEGALLY IN 1997. WE DO HAVE AN ATTORNEY. PLEASE HELP I'VE HEARD LOTS OF STORIES SOME SAY THAT HE CAN ADJUST STATUS OTHERS THAT HE CAN'T. I AM VERY NERVOUS AND IT'S A LITTLE SCARY.

1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

1

6

Answered . "WE DO HAVE AN ATTORNEY." Then, contact your attorney and have a chat with the attorney.

Your attorney likely knows all your relevant facts and can give you informed advice. No one here knows the relevant facts to give you any opinion.

In general, persons who entered the US without inspection cannot adjust status while remaining in the US. There are exceptions. Perhaps your husband fits into one of the exceptions. Your attorney should be able to tell you that.