Immigration issue. Am I in trouble? How bad is it?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

Would late tax filing delay my citizenship app?
Do I need to disclose this on my app?
What tax docs should I include in my app?

I filed my taxes late for 2008. I eventually filed them in 2011 and owe 0 to IRS. I am about to apply for my US citizenship in April 2013

Thanks

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

1

Answered . Relax. You do not have to submit tax documents with your application. If you are all paid up with the IRS, you have nothing to worry about.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

2

Answered . Late filing of taxes will not negatively effect your naturalization application

3. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

Answered . You need to answer all questions truthfully on your naturalization application. Are you applying based on marriage to a US Citizen (permanent resident for 3 years), or are you applying on your own (permanent resident for 5 years or more)? If you are applying based on marriage to a US Citizen, then you need to submit some tax returns. If you have paid all taxes owed to the IRS and you do not owe any unpaid taxes, then you will be able to answer that particular question "No."

You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney about your application.